The Society was established in 1936 to promote, in the province of Ulster, the study and dissemination of Irish history in all its aspects. It is a non-political and non-sectarian body.
- We hold regular public lectures and history events to promote new research in Irish history.
- We host an annual public JC Beckett Memorial Lecture given by a leading historian.
- We co-publish the research journal Irish Historical Studies, jointly with our sister organisation, the Irish Historical Society.
- We promote interactions and connections between historians of Ireland, the wider history and heritage sector and the general public in the province of Ulster.
See our Autumn 2016 Programme here: USIHS Programme for Autumn 2016
See our Spring 2016 Programme here: USIHS Programme Spring 2016
The current officers of USIHS for 2016-18 are:
- President Andrew Sneddon (Ulster University)
- Secretary John Cunningham (QUB)
- Treasurer Marie Coleman (QUB)
Committee for 2017-18:
Dr Marie Coleman (QUB); Dr John Cunningham (QUB); Dr Elaine Farrell (QUB); Prof. Peter Gray (QUB); Prof. David Hayton (QUB); Dr Andrew Holmes (QUB); Dr Janice Holmes (OU); Dr Ian Miller (UU); Mr Trevor Parkhill; Dr Andrew Sneddon (UU)
For information about how to become a Member, please contact the Secretary.
USIHS is affiliated to the Irish Committee for Historical Sciences
Read our revised Constitution here: USIHS Constitution_FINAL_19.06.14
See our previous JC Beckett Lectures here: Beckett Lectures since 1999